By the time our puppies are in their 7th week of age they will have done the following:
- Been on seven different types of surfaces: carpet, concrete, wood, vinyl, grass, dirt, gravel, wood chips and winter litters will have been on snow.
- Played with 7 different types of objects: Big balls, small balls, soft fabric toys, fuzzy toys, squeaky toys, paper or cardboard, metal items and sticks.
- Been in 7 different locations such as: Garage, car, the yard, kitchen, in the woods, out to see the BIG DOG kennel, and in the bathing room.
- ****They will have met and played with 7 new people including: children, adults. After they receive their first shots at 6 weeks, we will go on a road trip where our puppies will visit a puppy safe areas exposing them to sites, sounds, and stimulation from all directions. The myriad of strangers and strange places is great for your canine traveling companion.****Due to the various new strains of PARVO and other canine diseases, this particular group of 7 will no longer be done with our puppies. People do not realize that they can be exposed to diseases without even knowing it. It can be on your skin (most commonly hands), clothing or feet. Puppies can then be exposed to these diseases from being handled by a person having been unknowingly exposed. These diseases are ALMOST ALWAYS DEADLY to a puppy. Even ones who have had their second set of shots already.**** SEE BKLs new VISITOR PROTOCOL to the right.
- They will have been exposed to 7 challenges such as: Climbing on/off a low box, go through a tunnel, be in a fenced yard and play on agility type equipment of their choosing.
- They will eat from 7 different types of containers: metal, plastic, cardboard, glass, pie pan and frying pan.
- Eaten in 7 different locations: A crate, their puppy area, garage, kitchen, inside and outside.
BKL absolutely LOVES every puppy we have. PROTECTING THEM IS OUR MOST IMPORTANT PRIORITY.
The new virus strains coming from other areas of our country into NY have become of epidemic proportions.
VISITORS ARE NOW REQUIRED to follow the below protocols when visiting/picking up their puppy.
- The only visitors allowed must already have a deposit on one of our fur babies from the litter they are visiting.
- Visits/pick ups are by appointment only.
- Upon arrival a small amount of bleach/water mixture will be made available at your vehicle. The bottoms of your shoes must touch this prior to stepping out.
- Hand sanitizer will be provided to use prior to handling the puppies.
BKL recognizes that this may seem over the top or even ridiculous steps of protection to some people. Anyone who has seen a 12 week old puppy die from exposure to PARVO will not believe these steps to be overkill.
This protection is our responsibility to these beautiful little fur lives.
Thank you for understanding.
Exposure to the many things life has to offer out there in “the world” provides endless opportunities for socialization. Socializtion is part of training a well rounded, healthy and happy pup. A happy fur baby makes for a happy fur parent.
****PLEASE MAKE SURE YOUR PUPPY IS FULLY VACCINATED PRIOR TO EXPOSING THEM TO PUBLIC PLACES.****Dog parks are not your pup’s friend.****